Sausage, Butternut Squash and Sage Casserole
Yield 3-4 servings
This comforting sausage casserole is the perfect recipe to warm you on a chilly night! To make this a vegetarian meal eliminate the sausage and add an extra can of beans.
Adapted from BBC Food Recipes
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 package organic chicken sausage, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 15-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 16 ounces chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Heat the butter or oil in a large Dutch Oven or heavy pot over medium heat and sauté the sausages for 4-5 minutes, or until golden-brown all over.
Add the onion and shallots and sauté for three minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic and sage and cook for an additional three minutes, stirring well.
Add the squash and stir the mixture until well combined. Stir in the white wine vinegar.
Add the sugar, tomatoes, cannellini beans and stock and season, to taste, with salt (about 1/2 teaspoon) and freshly ground black pepper.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then transfer the casserole to the oven for one hour, or until the squash is tender.
To serve, ladle the casserole into bowls and sprinkle with the flatleaf parsley if desired.