Amazing Black Bean Burger
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 c fresh or frozen corn
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp. tomato sauce or make your own with tomato paste and water
- 1 tbsp. ground flax (you can substitute one egg for the egg and water flax egg)
- 2 tbsp. water
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder or more to taste
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/3 c whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- sprouted grain English muffins, optional
- In a small bowl mix together the ground flax and water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Put garlic cloves and jalapeño in food processor and mince finely.
- Add one can of the beans and pulse to combine but not puree.
- Add cumin, chili powder and salt and pulse again just to mix.
- Transfer the bean mixture to a large bowl and stir in the bread crumbs, tomato sauce, flax, corn and second can of beans. Stir well
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Form black bean mixture into patties and fry for about 4 minutes each side.
- Garnish with avocado slices and serve on sprouted grain muffins if using.
This recipe adapted from eatliverun is fool proof. It isn’t easy to find a bean burger that holds together and tastes good but this mildly spicy one will not disappoint!