Basic Healthful Soup
This is a basic soup recipe that calls for ground chicken or turkey. If you prefer to make it a vegetarian dish substitute a can of pinto or black beans and use vegetable broth. It’s delicious either way and makes a perfectly satisfying lunch especially when served with a nice green salad!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 3-4 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1 small sweet potato (about 1 cup), chopped
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or chicken (can sub 1 can garbanzo beans)
- 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 5-6 cups vegetable or low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1-2 handfuls baby spinach or kale, roughly chopped (can use frozen)
- Heat oil in large pot or Dutch oven
- Saute onions, bell peppers, celery, carrots and sweet potato on medium high heat, stirring often, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- If using, add ground chicken or turkey and cook until no longer pink.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute or so
- Season mixture with salt, pepper, cayenne and basil. Mix well.
- Add diced tomatoes, broth and corn. Add beans if using. If mixture is too thick add more broth or filtered water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for a least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the green and stir until wilted.
- Do a taste test and add more seasoning if desired.