Black Bean Pasta With Root Vegetables
Recipe Type: Vegetarian
Make this high protein, delicious pasta dish when root vegetables are in season for a nice change.
- 1 package Black bean pasta, cooked and drained
- 3 -4 cups spiralized butternut squash
- 2 medium beets, spiralized
- 2 Red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Lemon olive oil if possible
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- -Set the oven on broil. Cut the red peppers in half and remove seeds. Place peppers skin side up on the rack in the upper third of the oven so there are 8-9 inches between the broiling element and the peppers. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until skin is charred. Watch very carefully! Remove from oven and place in a bowl. Cover and let cool.
- -Turn oven to 400. Cover 2 baking sheets with foil or parchment paper. Spread the butternut squash in a single layer on one sheet and the beets on the other. Drizzle sparingly with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Cook in oven for about 10 minutes.
- -Peel the charred skin from the peppers. Place peppers in food processor and process until no large chunks are left.
- -Heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil in skillet. Add onion and saute for about 4 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook for another minute or so. Stir in pureed peppers and heat through. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- -Place root vegetables in a large bowl together and cut into smaller pieces with cooking sheers. Add the cooked pasta. Stir in 2 tablespoons lemon olive oil and mix to coat. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- -To serve: Divide pasta mixture between plates. Top with desired amount of red pepper sauce. Enjoy!