Chicken "Burrito" Casserole
For the Cashew Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cashews no need to soak
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup warm water or more as needed
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powers
For The Casserole
- 2 1/2 cups cooked and shredded chicken breast
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 large red bell peppers diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno or poblano pepper minced
- 12 oz cauliflower rice
- to taste sea salt
- 1/2 tsp taco seasoning (or make your own)
- 1 Tbsp lemon or lime jioce
- 1 cup salsa
- cilantro and additional japaeno or pblano for garnish
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 13” casserole dish with olive oil
- Pace your chicken in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat heat and add the oil.
- Add the peppers and onions, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, and cook for a minute to soften.
- Once onions are translucent, add the garlic and jalapeno/poblano, stir, and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Add the cauliflower rice and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper and the taco seasoning, stir to coat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes or until tender-crisp.
- Add the lime juice and stir, cook another minute to reach the desired texture.
- Add the cheese sauce to the chicken and toss to coat. Place half of the cauliflower rice mixture in the bottom of the casserole dish, then spread 1/2 cup of the salsa over it. Top with 1/2 of the chicken/sauce mixture, followed by the remaining cauliflower rice mixture, salsa, and remaining chicken/sauce mixture. If you prefer the salsa on the top layer, that’s fine too.
- Add thinly sliced jalapeño or pobano pepper to the top and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes to heat through.