Yield 4 servings
These tacos adapted from Healthyish are amazing! Don't skip the pickled red onions.
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 corn tortillas
1/2 of a 2- to 2 1/2-pound rotisserie chicken, shredded (about 2 1/2 cups)
1 cup store-bought salsa verde
Macadamia Nut cheese or plain, full-fat yogurt
1/4 cup Quick-Pickled Red Onions (see separate recipe below)
Fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced or finely chopped to yield about 2 cups
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Mash the avocado with the lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl.
- Using tongs, toast each tortilla directly on the grate of a gas burner turned to medium-high. Cook, flipping once, until the edges are charred and the tortilla is hot. (If you don't have a gas burner, microwave the tortillas until hot, 15-30 seconds.)
- Spread the mashed avocado mixture on the toasted tortillas, dividing it equally. Top with the chicken, salsa, cheese or yogurt, and pickled onions. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves, additional red pepper flakes, and additional salt (if desired). Serve with lime wedges alongside.
To make the Pickled Onions
- Put the onion in a resealable jar (or other similar container) and then pour the vinegar and salt over the top. Seal the jar and shake vigorously to coat the onion with the salt and vinegar.
- Continue to shake occasionally, until the onions are soft, at least 15 minutes, or preferably at least an hour. (You can do this in a bowl; stir frequently.)
- Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.