Easy Thirty Minute Black Bean Soup
If you have your ingredients ready you can have this soup ready to eat just 30 minutes after you start chopping onions!
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 small sweet potato, chopped into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup organic corn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1-2 large handfuls baby spinach
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups low-sodium organic chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat olive oil in large pot. Add onion, bell pepper, sweet potato and carrots. Saute on medium high heat until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, spices and tomato paste. Stir to combine.
- Pour in broth, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, add beans and corn then cover and continue cooking at a low boil for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Use an immersion blender to puree about 1/2 of the soup or remove 1/2 of soup to blender then return to pot. Add spinach and stir just until wilted.
- Taste for seasoning. Serve with a dollop or plain Greek yogurt.
- Continue to cook the remaining soup in the pot for another 30 minutes.