Recipe Type: Salad
This delicious salad is a great way to eat your greens. The combination of kale and romaine make for a tasty addition to any meal. Add beans or chicken for a complete meal
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 4 cups kale leaves
- 4 cups romaine leaves
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- ½ cup dates, chopped
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon smooth Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoons honey
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spread the pecans on a baking tray. Toast them until lightly golden and fragrant, about 5 to 10 minutes, tossing them once or twice to make sure they bake evenly. Remove the tray from the oven and set them aside to cool.
- Pull the kale leaves from the tough stems and discard the stems. Remove the romaine greens from their thick stems and discard stems. Use a chef’s knife or scissors to chop the greens into small, bite-sized pieces. Transfer the leaves to a big salad bowl. Sprinkle a small pinch of sea salt over the leaves and massage with your hands by lightly scrunching big handfuls at a time, until the leaves are darker in color and fragrant.
- Add the celery and dates to the bowl.
- Coarsely chop the pecans and add them to the bowl. Chop the apple into small, bite-sized pieces and add it to the bowl as well. Distribute the avocado cubes on top of the salad.
- In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients together and pour the dressing over the salad. Toss until the salad is evenly coated with dressing. Serve immediately, or for even better flavor, let the salad marinate in the dressing for 10 to 20 minutes beforehand.
Adapted from a recipe found on Cookieandkate.com