This recipe is adapted from 101 Cookbooks.
- 2 tablespoons achiote powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon sweetener like raw sugar or maple syrup
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 big pinches sea salt
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 12 ounce package extra firm tofu cut into 4 slabs
- Whisk together the achiote powder, cayenne pepper and sweetener.
- Sprinkle the salt over the garlic, smash it with your knife and mince it into a paste.
- Add this to the achiote mixture along with the lemon juice and combine thoroughly.
- Place the tofu into an 8 X 8 baking dish and pour the marinade over the tofu. Turn it around to make sure you get coverage on all sides. Place in the fridge for an hour if you have it. You can flip it over half way though.
- Place the tofu on a hot grill or bake in the oven at 350. Brush the top of each piece with the marinade and grill or bake until the tofu is golden on the bottom. Rotate the tofu 90 ◦ half way through the cooking. Flip and cook the other side. Brush the side facing up with more marinade and cook until the bottom is golden. Remove and eat alone or serve with a big salad or however you like.