Lentil Salad With Roasted Vegetables
This lentil salad tastes bright and buttery. Serve as a main meal or as a side dish with meat. Adapted from a recipe by Melissa Clark.
- 1 small whole butternut squash, seeded and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium celeriac, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 small beets, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary, cut in half
- 2 cups brown or green lentils
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, more to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- FOR THE SHERRY VINAIGRETTE:
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar, more to taste
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, more as needed
- FOR SERVING
- 1 small bin mixed greens
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (whites and greens)
- Parsley, roughly chopped, for garnish
- Sea salt, to taste
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 tangerine, halved and seeded
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place vegetables in one layer on one or two large rimmed baking pans, toss with olive oil and salt. Place thyme and rosemary on top of vegetables, cover pans with foil and roast for 25 minutes. Remove foil and cook for 20-25 minutes until vegetables are tender and golden all over.
- In a large pot, combine lentils, 6 cups water, garlic, bay leaf, salt and pepper and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, until lentils are tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard and salt. Then whisk in olive oil.
- Drain lentils and discard bay leaf; keep or discard garlic as you like. Toss lentils with half of the sherry vinaigrette while still warm. Add more salt, olive oil and vinegar as needed.
- Toss greens with enough of remaining vinaigrette to lightly coat and arrange on a platter. Combine lentils and roasted vegetables, adding more of the vinaigrette to taste; spoon mixture on top of greens. Garnish with scallions, parsley, sea salt and black pepper. Squeeze tangerine juice over the lentils and drizzle with more olive oil if needed.