1 12-ounce package extra firm tofu
4 Tablespoons olive oil (divided)
4 Tablespoons tamari
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
2 Tablespoons almond butter or peanut butter
2 Tablespoons lime juice
1-2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
1/2 pound haricots verts
1 red or orange bell pepper sliced thin
Brown or cauliflower rice for serving-optional
- Wrap tofu in a clean, absorbent towel and set something heavy on top - like a cast-iron skillet - to press out excess moisture for about 15-30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Unwrap tofu and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Add the cubes to the skillet and sautè until golden on bottom.
- Carefully flip and repeat on the other side. Remove from skillet and set aside.
In the meantime, to a small mixing bowl, add 2 tablespoons of the oil, tamari, maple syrup, nut butter, lime juice and chili garlic sauce. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Add cooked tofu to the nut butter-tamari sauce and let marinate for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The longer it marinates, the more intense the flavor, but 5-10 minutes should be good.
- Reheat the skillet over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of oil, the beans and peppers and 2-3 Tablespoons of the marinade. Cover to steam for about 4-5 minutes or until green beans are slightly tender. Then remove lid, increase heat to medium high, and add remaining marinade and the tofu. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring gently. Then remove from heat.
- Serve as is or over cooked brown rice or cauliflower rice.