There are few more satisfying one pot meals than chili! Use ground beef or turkey for added protein or prepare as a vegetarian meal. Both are equally delicious!
- 1/2 pound organic ground beef or turkey optional
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 28- ounce can Cento crushed tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 3 carrots peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can organic corn with liquid
- 2 cans pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro + more for garnish
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 peeled sweet potato cut with julienne tool
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Plain Greek yogurt for garnish
- In a Dutch oven or large pot heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, peppers and carrots. Saute until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for one minute or until golden. If using add ground beef and corn to pot and cook until beef is no longer pink.
- Add chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, cilantro, tomatoes and sweet potato "noodles". Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add beans. If mixture is too thick add 1/2- 1 cup stock until desired consistency is reached.
- Bring to a boil again then reduce heat to simmer; cook for at least 10 minutes and up to an hour.
- Do a flavor test; add additional salt and chili powder if desired.
- When ready to serve divide chili between bowls. Squeeze fresh lime juice over each bowl and top with a dollop of yogurt and chopped cilantro.