Skillet-Baked Eggs with Spinach, Yogurt, and Chili Oil
- 2/3 cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1/8 garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped leek or onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallion white and pale-green parts only
- 10 cups fresh spinach 10 ounces
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Mix yogurt, garlic, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 300°. Melt 1 tablespoon butter with oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add leek or onion and scallion; reduce heat to low. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add spinach and lemon juice; season with salt. Increase heat to medium-high; cook, turning frequently until wilted, 4–5 minutes.
- Transfer spinach mixture to 10" skillet, leaving any excess liquid behind. If using 2 smaller skillets, divide spinach mixture equally between skillets. Make 4 deep indentations in center of spinach. Carefully break 1 egg into each hollow, taking care to keep yolks intact. Bake until egg whites are set, 10–15 minutes.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add chili powder and a pinch of salt and cook until butter starts to foam and browned bits form at bottom of pan, 1–2 minutes. Spoon yogurt over spinach and eggs. Drizzle with spiced butter.
adapted from bon appetit