Southwest Chicken Salad
If you’re pressed for time you can cook the chicken ahead of time then mix everything together when you’re ready to eat! Credit: Fiveandspice
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- 6-8 cups mixed greens
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Heat oven to 425F. In small bowl combine the chili powder, cumin, and garlic. Rub the chicken thighs with salt and pepper then the spice mixture. Roast the chicken in the oven until cooked through, 30-40 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to cool just enough to handle, then cut the meat away from the bone and into chunks.
- While the chicken is roasting, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a medium skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the red onion and jalapeño and cook, stirring, until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Add the corn and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the corn is cooked through and starting to caramelize, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, toss the cherry tomatoes, avocado, greens, and cilantro with the lime juice, 3 tablespoons olive oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Divide the mixture between plates. Then distribute the corn and the chicken between the plates. Serve while the corn and chicken are still warm if you can!