Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs
- 1 large spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- Sea Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
For The Red Sauce
- 2 twenty eight-ounce cans crushed tomatoes (Cento)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
For The Meatballs
- ⅓ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk alternative
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
To Make The Sauce
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large pot on medium heat. Add garlic and saute 1 minute until golden. Carefully add tomatoes to pot. Stir to combine the salt, pepper, basil and sugar. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for at least 30 minutes.
Cook the Squash
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Sprinkle the cut sides of the squash with 1/2 teaspoon salt, then brush both sides with olive oil. Put the squash, cut-side up, in a baking dish roast for 45-50 minutes until the squash is tender. Remove from oven and cover with foil to keep warm.
Meanwhile make the meatballs:
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onions until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Mix chicken and pork together in a large bowl. Stir onions, bread crumbs, egg, parsley, garlic, salt, black pepper, milk and Italian herb seasoning into meat mixture and combine with your hands.
- Using wet hands, form meat mixture into balls about 1½ inches in diameter. Arrange onto baking sheet lightly brushed with olive oil
- Bake in the 425 oven 15 minutes. Remove from oven and add to Tomato sauce on stove. Cover and cook on medium low for at least 20 more minutes.
- Use a fork to scrape the spaghetti squash flesh into strands; transfer to a large bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper if desired. Divide the squash among bowls and top each with meatballs and sauce.
- Serve with a large green salad.