2 acorn squash, halved and seeded1 tablespoon butter, melted1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage4 chicken apple sausages1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped1 celery rib, finely chopped4 ounces mushrooms, chopped (optional)2 small apples, chopped 1⁄2 teaspoon sagesalt and pepper
- Combine the melted butter, garlic salt and 1/4 teaspoons sage; brush over cut sides and cavity of squash. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in a large roasting pan or cookie sheet, cut side up, at 400 degrees F for 50 minutes to one hour, until squash is tender yet still holds its shape.
- Meanwhile, make stuffing: Dice the sausage then saute with a little olive oil in a medium skillet until warmed through. Remove sausage to a bowl. To the skillet add onion, celery and mushroom; saute 4 minutes. Stir in apple and saute 2 more minutes.
- Combine the pork and vegetables in a large bowl.
- Taste and season with sage, salt or pepper if needed.
- Fill the squash halves with stuffing-they should be slightly mounded.
- Return to oven and bake for 15- 20 more minutes until heated through.