Sweet Potato and Bean Burritos
I love these burritos for their simplicity and authenticity! You can double the recipe if you're feeding a large crowd or if you want more leftovers. Feel free to add in bell peppers or other veggies you may have on hand.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can black and 1 can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 large handful of fresh spinach chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Dijon or honey mustard
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Tamari
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes I cut into chunks and roast at 400F for 20-25 minutes. Then mash
- 6 large whole wheat or soft corn tortillas
- Salsa avocado and plain Greek yogurt for garnish
- Heat oil in a medium skillet and saute the onion and garlic until soft.
- Mash the beans into the onion mixture using a potato masher if you have one.
- Gradually stir in the broth. Heat until warm, two to three minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Tamari, chili powder, mustard, cumin and cayenne pepper.
- Let mixture cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Distribute mashed potatoes in the center of each tortilla. Top with the bean mixture and spinach leaves. Fold burrito- style. Place burritos seam side down on a baking sheet and bake until warmed through, about 12 minutes.
- Serve with salsa, avocado and salted yogurt!