Sweet Potato Sausage Soup
An easy one pot meal from Martha Stewart. Use your favorite nitrate-free sausage.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 3/4 lb sweet Italian or chicken sausage, cut into 1/2″ rounds
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (1 pound total), peeled and cut into 1/2″ chunks
- 4 c chicken broth
- 4 c roughly chopped mixed greens, such as kale and Swiss chard
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, celery and garlic and cook until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes; season with salt and peppers. Add sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, broth, and 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, add greens, and cook until greens are wilted, 4 minutes.