Sweet Potato & White Bean soup
The delicious soup is creamy without the cream. One of my favorites!
Servings 4 bowls
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 can cannellini or other white beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Plain yogurt for topping optional
- Wash the potatoes then peel and cut them into large pieces.
- In a large pot, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic, turmeric and sage. Sauté for 2 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the potatoes, stock, coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil, and lower the heat to medium. Cook for 30 minutes, until the potatoes are soft. Add the canned beans and turn off heat.
- In small batches, transfer the vegetables to a high-powered blender. Add broth as you go, depending on how thick or thin you want the soup to be. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the soup back into the pot. Taste and add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt if desired. Add the cayenne pepper
- Ladle soup into bowls and enjoy with a dollop of yogurt if desired.