Vegan Tempeh Bowl
Eat healthier with this vegan tempeh bowl.
- Olive oil
- 1 package plain original tempeh
- 1 small beet
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 avocado mashed
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage or basil
- 1/3 cup homemade balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 cups kale or other greens roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 425
- Slice the tempeh into 1/4" pieces. Add to a large bowl then pour in vinaigrette. Toss to coat. Arrange tempeh in an 8" glass casserole dish. Set aside
- Peel and slice the beet into 1/4" thick rounds.
- Cut the bell pepper in half. Remove seeds.
- Put the beets, squash and tomatoes into a large bowl and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Add a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss to coat.
- Arrange the vegetables in a single layer on a parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet. Sprinkle the sage or basil over the squash.
- Place vegetables and tempeh in oven and roast for 20-25 minutes. Vegetables should be soft and slightly crispy. Put the pepper halves skin side up in a glass pie dish and place in oven with the other vegetables.
- Remove tempeh and vegetables when ready. Set oven to broil then place the peppers on top rack about 5 inches from broiler until the skin is charred and soft, 5-8 minutes but watch carefully! Remove from oven and place in small paper bag or covered dish until cool. Remove skin and cut into thin slices.
- Arrange the bowl
- Place chopped lettuce in bottom of bowl then add desired amount of remaining vegetables along with the tempeh slices and smashed avocado. Season lightly with salt and pepper if desired and drizzle a small amount of vinaigrette over the veggies. Mix well and enjoy!
If you don't have these vegetables handy just use what you have.