- 1 large head Savoy cabbage
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil[br]
- 1/4 cup currants or raisins
- 1 cup cauliflower "rice"
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 3/4 -2 tsp salt
- pinch of cinnamon
- ground black pepper
- 1 large jar marinara sauce with no sugar or make your own
Ingredients for Red Sauce
- 1 large 28 ounce can kitchen ready tomatoes (I prefer Cento)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried basil or 3-4 fresh leaves
- Water for thinning, if necessary
- If making your own red sauce start first following directions below.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Remove any outer leaves from your cabbage and stick a large fork or prong right at the bottom, in the core. Once the water is boiling, place the cabbage in the water. Continue boiling for 5 minutes then remove cabbage and run under cold water immediately.
- Place cabbage on a bed of paper towels and carefully remove the leaves, snipping the bottoms with kitchen scissors. They should come off very easily and in one piece after the blanching process. Lay all the cabbage leaves on paper towels and cover with more paper towels to soak up any water. Let drain while you work on the filling.
- To make the cauliflower rice place florets in food processor and pulse until you reach rice consistency.
- To prepare the filling, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add the shallot, garlic and grated carrot. Saute for about 4 minutes then add the tomato paste and mix well. Continue sauteing for another 2 minutes.
- Remove pot from the heat and transfer veggies into a large mixing bowl. Keep the pot handy because you’ll use it again soon!
- Add the cauliflower rice and currants to the veggie mixture followed by the ground turkey and. Add the salt, pepper and a pinch of cinnamon and mix well!
- Once you have everything combined, start filling your cabbage rolls. Place about1/3rd cup of meat mixture in the center of each cabbage leaf. Roll up like a burrito, folding in all sides so no meat escapes. Place filled rolls gently on the bottom of a large pot. Repeat until all the cabbage leaves have been filled and rolled.
- Pour the marinara sauce over the cabbage rolls in the pot and place pot on the stove. ( If making your own red sauce add the rolls to the red sauce cooking on stove.) Bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes until rice has cooked through.
- Serve cabbage rolls with additional sauce and a big green salad.[br]
To Make Red Sauce
- Heat a tablespoon olive in large pot oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute just until golden. Turn heat to low and pour in tomatoes. Add salt, pepper, basil and sugar. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.