This recipe from fiveandspice is super easy and full of flavor! I love that turmeric is the main spice because I’m always looking for ways to incorporate it in my food. It’s believed that chronic, low-level inflammation plays a major role in almost every chronic disease and among turmeric’s medicinal strengths is strong anti-inflammatory properties.
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 juicy lime, halved
- In a small bowl, mix together the turmeric with 1 1/2 tsp. salt and 1-2 tsp. ground black pepper. Rub the chicken pieces all over with this spice blend.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken skin side down and let it cook undisturbed for 7 minutes, until burnished and brown. Flip the chicken pieces and brown them on the other side for another 5-7 minutes.
- Add the shallot around the chicken and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the water and garlic to the pan and give a little stir. Bring the water to a boil, then turn it down to a simmer. Cover and let the chicken gently cook for 25 minutes, until cooked through and tender.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter, turn the heat back up and cook the sauce down until it reaches the thickness you want. Pour the sauce over the chicken and squeeze the limes over.